Following the success of the last year Cambridge hackathon, the Galaxy Training Network organizes a three-day "Workshop for Galaxy training material and skills improvement", hosted in Norwich in May 2018.
The objectives are to further pursue some of the objectives of the ELIXIR Galaxy Community for training, e.g.:
- improve and extend the collection of Galaxy training materials, in particular with the goal of integrating the admin training slides and tutorials
- add support for BioSchemas
- complete the upload on Zenodo of the collection of datasets used for the tutorials, which will provide stable Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) and reliable data hosting
- plan internationalisation and localisation support in order to make the training material available to users in their own language
- implement Galaxy tutorials in e-Learning platforms
- annotate each tutorial with the existing public Galaxy instances where it can be executed (i.e. where the necessary tools and genome indexes are installed), allowing users to immediately try it on the server of their choice
- create more Docker containers providing on-demand Galaxy instances for a given tutorial.
This hackathon will start with a 1-day "Train the Trainer" course, similar to the SDC "Instructor Training" and the ELIXIR-EXCELERATE "Train the Trainer". Here Galaxy trainers will develop an insight into different learning styles, understand what makes a good trainer, and learn new approaches to training from experienced trainers. This course will help them to better contribute and shape the materials during the hackathon.