Introduction to Genomics in Medicine Using Galaxy Platform
Galaxy workshop in Arabic
- Date: May 4th 2017
- Location: Tanta University Faculty of Mediciene, Tanta, Egypt
- Event URL: https://www.facebook.com/events/1836526683279672/
- Contact: Abdelazeem_Abdelhameed2015505 @ yahoo.com
Genomics is "an emerging medical discipline that involves using genomic information about an individual as part of their clinical care (e.g., for diagnostic or therapeutic decision-making). Already, genomic medicine is making an impact in the fields of oncology, pharmacology, rare and undiagnosed diseases, and infectious disease.
Pharmacogenomics involves using an individual's genome to determine whether or not a particular therapy, or dose of therapy, will be effective. Currently, more than 100 FDA-approved drugs [fda.gov] have pharmacogenomics information in their labels, in diverse fields such as analgesics, antivirals, cardiovascular drugs, and anti-cancer therapeutics.
DNA sequencing is being used to investigate infectious disease outbreaks, including Ebola virus, drug-resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureas and Klebsiella pneumoniae, as well as food poisoning following contamination with Escherichia coli.
Whole genome sequencing or whole exome sequencing (where only the protein-coding exons within genes, rather than the entire genome, are sequenced), has been used to help doctors diagnose-and in some extraordinary cases to identify available treatments-in rare disease cases
Cancer Cell genome sequencing determine which combination of chemotherapy will be given to the patient.
Project developed by 3 universites : Johns Hopkins, Penn State and Oregon Health and Science University. Johns Hopkins (17th world rank times higher education), Penn State (68th world rank ).
This project aims to make doing Genomics and Bioinformatics Research Easier for those who are still beginners in the field with its User Friendly interface , you will find Genomics more attractive and Easy to learn.
More effective with high reproducibility : The problem with Bioinformatics Research is Reproducibility. Galaxy maintain a constant computer environment for your analysis to make it easy to get the same results when repeating the research.
Galaxy gives you large space on the web, however you can download it locally on your computer or use it on the Cloud. Galaxy makes it easy to share your results with your colleague or with the world and they will have access to all steps you have done and they can repeat the analysis.
You will join our Arabic Galaxy Community which is the first one in the middle East and Africa.
- As a medical student it is important to have an introducation about the future of medicine, Genomics is entering all fields of medicine both Basic and clinical medicine involving all specialities not only clinical Genetics.
- As a physician you will need to deal with genomic testing in the coming years as the technology becomes cheaper and more widely available.
- As a researcher in one of these fields(biochemistry, Microbiology,pharmacology and pathology) Genomics is the current trend in medical and biological researches, you will ues it as a part of your research.
- As clinical Geneticist you will need to know what is behind the results you can get from Genetic Test and how they are performed and how they can be interpreted.
Training on the Galaxy is the easiest way to learn Bioinformatics with an Easy user Friendly interface and many tutorials on the web. You will receive a Certificate of Attendance for this Training.
Medical students, Medical doctors, Researchers in the field of Bioinformatics, Biochemists, Microbiologists, Phramcologists, Clinical Geneticists and anyone who has something to do with genomics or Genetics.
- 4th may 2017
- 10.00 AM : 1.00 PM
- Register to join the community (15 mins)
- introduction to the main Features of Galaxy platform (20 mins)
- From Genes to Genomes (30 mins)
- From Lab to Clinic (40 mins)
- Let me try (practical part ) (60 mins)
- I want to learn more : open and free resources for learning online (10 mins)
Abdelazeem Abdelhameed Regional trainer for the Galaxy project in Arabic speaking countries and Africa Founder of the Arabic community Under Supervision of Professor Dr. Wafaa Ibrahim Biochemistry department , Faculty of medicine ,Tanta University
- For Reservation Contact : Abdelazeem_Abdelhameed2015505@yahoo.com
- Website for Galaxy Project : galaxyproject.org
- Announcement for the Arabic Community Foundation : https://biostar.usegalaxy.org/p/20343/
- Webpage for trainers around the world (Abdelazeem with affiliation to Tanta University) : https://galaxyproject.org/teach/trainers/
- Website for Galaxy arabic : https://galaxyproject.org/community/arabic/
- Facebook : Galaxy Community Arabic(Group)
- Twitter : @Galaxy_Arabic