Galaxy Paper Cuts Day: November 18
A community contribution day
Paper cuts are annoying but easy to fix bugs.
This event is a recurring, day-long and worldwide collaboration fest, dedicated to reducing Papercuts in the Galaxy ecosystem.
The first Galaxy Paper Cuts day in October was a smashing success at identifying paper cut issues, fixing paper cut issues, and in welcoming new contributors to the Galaxy contributor community.
- Make the Galaxy experience be a pleasure and be productive by removing and reducing irritants.
- Grow the Galaxy contributor community by holding regular events.
- Identify easy but informative things to fix.
- Work together and enjoy the community.
- Dedicate time together for bug-fixing.
- Make reducing paper cuts fun.
This will be a 24h event, spanning all time zones with our worldwide community. We'll start at 9 AM Melbourne time, and end at 6 PM Portland time.
Issues to work on
Here are links to the issues identified as potential targets for paper cuts day:
|Repo / Project||What is it?||Tags|
|Galaxy Server||Galaxy server and front end.||paper-cut|
|Galaxy Training Network||Training materials.||Collaboration Fest ideas newcomer-friendly paper-cut|
|CloudMan||Managing instances on cloud infrastructures.||good first issue|
|IUC Tools||Wrappers for popular tools in Galaxy.||paper-cut|
|BioBlend||The Galaxy Python API.||paper-cut|
|Galaxy Hub||The Galaxy Community web site.||paper-cut|
|Ansible Galaxy||Galaxy deployment recipes.||paper-cut|
|LSP server||Galaxy Tool Language Server.||paper-cut|
Developer Quick Dive Videos
Developer Quick Dives are short videos (2 minutes or less) that demonstrate how to do common tasks in Galaxy development. Take a peek.
Join us in our regular onboarding video calls
- 09:00 (Melbourne, UTC +11), 24.00 (CEST, UTC +1) Zoom Link
- 12:00 (Melbourne, UTC +11), 03.00 (CEST, UTC +1) Zoom Link
- 21:00 (Melbourne, UTC +11), 09.00 (CET, UTC +1) Zoom Link
- 06:00 (Eastern US, UTC -5), 12.00 (CET, UTC +1) Zoom Link
- 09:00 (Eastern US, UTC -5), 15.00 (CET, UTC +1) Zoom Link
- 12:00 (Eastern US, UTC -5), 18.00 (CET, UTC +1) Zoom Link
Americas (⬆ and ⬇)
- 15:00 (Eastern US, UTC -5), 21.00 (CET, UTC +1) Zoom Link
- 18:00 (Eastern US, UTC -5), 24.00 (CET, UTC +1) Zoom Link
Interested? Then please join us on a call (and on Gitter) and we will get you on board.
Before the event
If you are a Galaxy user or admin, you can create, or tag existing GitHub issues for any irritating, but likely easily fixed bugs (make a guess). These can be in any part of Galaxy, not just the core engine, and includes training, documentation, and other software.
If you don't have a GitHub or Gitter account yet, then set them up (in that order).
If you have time, and want to learn more about contributing you are encouraged to review:
- A collection of short videos, highlighting how to do common useful tasks during Paper Cuts and beyond.
- Development in Galaxy tutorials.
- Contributing to the Galaxy Training Material tutorials.
- Galaxy on GitHub - see what projects are supported and find the one that speaks to you. Pay particular attention to each project's CONTIBUTING.md files.
During the event
We will have video calls throughout the day and be on Gitter for chat all day long. Please take advantage of both to communicate with your collaborators around the world.
After the event
Get those pull requests in! And address anything from the review! And become more involved in the Galaxy code, training, and documentation base!
Communication will happen through GitHub, Gitter channels and Zoom. Links will be posted here before the event.