Galaxy Papercuts CoFest Day: April 15
A community contribution day
- Date: April 15th 2021
- Location: Online, Global
- Contact: Community
Paper cuts are annoying but easy to fix bugs. Paper cuts CoFests are virtual, global, day-long events that improve the Galaxy ecosystem by addressing these issues, and by onboarding new contributors in the Galaxy community.
Want to improve Galaxy, and get involved with Galaxy? Please join us on April 15.
- Make the Galaxy experience be a pleasure and be productive by removing and reducing irritants.
- Grow the Galaxy contributor community by holding regular events.
- Identify easy but informative things to fix.
- Work together and enjoy the community.
- Dedicate time together for bug-fixing.
- Make reducing paper cuts fun.
This will be a 24h event, spanning all time zones with our worldwide community. We'll start at 09:00 Melbourne time, and end at 16:00 Portland time.
Please let us know by registering your interest. We'll send you information before the event. Registering your interest is optional, but is strongly encouraged, especially if you are a new or relatively new contributor. The form includes questions about what you are interested in. If you let us know, we can connect you with a more experienced contributor for the day.
On Papercuts Day, please join us on Gitter (all day), and on 3 calls held throughout the day (arranged to cover the globe).
Here are links to the issues identified as potential targets for papercuts day:
|Repo / Project||Working Group||What is it?||Tags|
|Galaxy Server||Backend, User Interface / User Experience||Galaxy server and front end.||paper-cut|
|Galaxy Admin Training||Admin||Training materials for Galaxy Admin Training.||paper-cut|
|Galaxy Training Network||Outreach & Training||Training materials.||Collaboration Fest ideas, newcomer-friendly, paper-cut|
|CloudMan||Deployment||Managing instances on cloud infrastructures.||good first issue|
|IUC Tools||Tools||Wrappers for popular tools in Galaxy.||paper-cut|
|BioBlend||Backend||The Galaxy Python API.||paper-cut|
|Galaxy Hub||Outreach & Training||The Galaxy Community web site.||paper-cut|
|Ansible Galaxy||Deployment||Galaxy deployment recipes.||paper-cut|
|LSP server||Backend||Galaxy Tool Language Server.||paper-cut|
Developer Quick Dives are short videos (2 minutes or less) that demonstrate how to do common tasks in Galaxy development. Take a peek.
If you are a Galaxy user or admin, you can create, or tag existing GitHub issues for any irritating, but likely easily fixed bugs (make a guess). These can be in any part of Galaxy, not just the core engine, and includes training, documentation, and other software.
If you don't have a GitHub or Gitter account yet, then set them up (in that order).
If you have time, and want to learn more about contributing you are encouraged to review:
- A collection of short videos, highlighting how to do common useful tasks during Paper Cuts and beyond.
- Development in Galaxy tutorials.
- Contributing to the Galaxy Training Material tutorials.
- Galaxy on GitHub - see what projects are supported and find the one that speaks to you. Pay particular attention to each project's CONTIBUTING.md files.
We will be on Gitter for chat all day long, and on 3 calls spread across the day. Please take advantage of both to communicate with your collaborators around the world.
- Call 1: Oceania, Australia, Asia
- Call 2: Middle East, Europe, Africa
- Call 3: Americas
Get those pull requests in! And address anything from the review! And become more involved in the Galaxy code, training, and documentation base!