Paper cuts are annoying but easy to fix friction points. Papercuts CoFests are virtual, global, day-long events that improve the Galaxy ecosystem by addressing these issues. They are also an opportunity for new contributors to become better connected with the Galaxy community.
- Make the Galaxy experience be a pleasure and be productive by removing and reducing irritants.
- Grow the Galaxy contributor community by holding regular events.
- Identify easy but informative issues to fix.
- Work together and enjoy the community.
- Dedicate time together for bug-fixing.
- Make reducing paper cuts fun.
This will be a 24h event, spanning all time zones with our worldwide community.
On Papercuts Day, please join us on Gitter (all day), and on 3 calls held throughout the day (arranged to cover the globe).
If you don't have a GitHub or Gitter (or Elements/Matrix) account yet, then set them up (in that order).
Before the event
If you are a Galaxy user or admin, you can create, or tag existing GitHub issues for any irritating, but likely easily fixed bugs (make a guess). These can be in any part of Galaxy, not just the core engine, and includes training, documentation, and other software.
If you have time, and want to learn more about contributing you are encouraged to review:
- A collection of short videos, highlighting how to do common useful tasks during Paper Cuts and beyond.
- Development in Galaxy tutorials.
- Contributing to the Galaxy Training Material tutorials.
- Galaxy on GitHub - see what projects are supported and find the one that speaks to you. Pay particular attention to each project's CONTRIBUTING.md files.
During the event
We will be on Gitter for chat all day long, and on 3 calls spread across the day. Please take advantage of both to communicate with your collaborators around the world.
Papercuts Call 1: Oceania, Australia, Asia
Papercuts Call 2: Middle East, Europe, Africa
Papercuts Call 3: Americas
Issues to work on
Here are links to the issues identified as potential targets for Papercuts Day:
|Repo / Project||Working Group||What is it?||Tags|
|Galaxy Server||Backend, User Interface / User Experience||Galaxy server and front end.||paper-cut|
|BioBlend||Backend||The Galaxy Python API.||paper-cut|
|Galaxy Tools Extension & Galaxy Language Server||Backend||Galaxy Tool Language Server.||paper-cut|
|Galaxy Admin Training||Admin||Training materials for Galaxy Admin Training.||paper-cut|
|CloudMan||Admin||Managing instances on cloud infrastructures.||good first issue|
|Ansible Galaxy||Admin||Galaxy deployment recipes.||paper-cut|
|IUC Tools||Tools||Wrappers for popular tools in Galaxy.||paper-cut|
|Galaxy Training Network||Outreach, Training & Support||Training materials.||Collaboration Fest ideas, newcomer-friendly, paper-cut|
|Galaxy Hub||Outreach, Training & Support||The Galaxy Community web site.||paper-cut|
- Feature Request: allow sorting on last login in admin users page
- Tooltips / glossary / help button for advanced concepts
- Update favorite icon style in tool panel header
- Dataset/history search bar quirks
- Make finding shared workflows easier
- Google Login Button
After the event
Get those pull requests in! And address anything from the review! And become more involved in the Galaxy code, training, and documentation base!