GTN CoFest & Galaxy Papercuts CoFest Day
A community contribution day
Paper cuts are annoying but easy to fix friction points. Paper cuts CoFests are virtual, global, day-long events that improve the Galaxy ecosystem by addressing these issues. They are also an opportunity for new contributors to become better connected with the Galaxy community.
The May PaperCuts CoFest will be held in conjunction with the May Galaxy Training Network (GTN) CoFest day. Want to improve Galaxy, and get involved with Galaxy? Please join us.
- Make the Galaxy experience be a pleasure and be productive by removing and reducing irritants.
- Grow the Galaxy contributor community by holding regular events.
- Identify easy but informative issues to fix.
- Work together and enjoy the community.
- Dedicate time together for bug-fixing.
- Make reducing paper cuts fun.
This will be a 24h event, spanning all time zones with our worldwide community. We'll start at 09:00 Melbourne time, and end at 16:00 Portland time.
On Papercuts Day, please join us on Gitter (all day). If you don't have a GitHub or Gitter (or Element/Matrix) account yet, then set them up (in that order).
Before the event
If you are a Galaxy user or admin, you can create, or tag existing GitHub issues for any irritating, but likely easily fixed bugs (make a guess). These can be in any part of Galaxy, not just the core engine, and includes training, documentation, and other software.
If you have time, and want to learn more about contributing you are encouraged to review:
- A collection of short videos, highlighting how to do common useful tasks during Paper Cuts and beyond.
- Development in Galaxy tutorials.
- Contributing to the Galaxy Training Material tutorials.
- Galaxy on GitHub - see what projects are supported and find the one that speaks to you. Pay particular attention to each project's CONTRIBUTING.md files.
During the event
We will be on Gitter for chat all day long.
There are also two GTN CoFest calls planned for the day.
GTN CoFest Call 1: Middle East, Europe, Africa
- 10:00 Central European Summer time. See your time.
GTN CoFest Call 2: Americas
- 11:00 US Eastern time. See your time.
Issues to work on
This papercut day we're going to focus on some UI-UX issues for the New History. If that's not your specialty, feel free to pick something else OR you can challenge yourself to learn something new!
You can find the project board and list of issues here!
After the event
Get those pull requests in! And address anything from the review! And become more involved in the Galaxy code, training, and documentation base!
Want to host?
If you're a member of a working group and would like to nominate yourselves to host a papercut event, please contact Assunta DeSanto.