If you were working with an unregistered account, the History could really be now lost to you. Get Registered before starting again!
Find any History in your account
- Locate the History menu gear icon at top of right History panel in the Analyze Data view.
- Select the option Saved Histories from this pull-down menu.
- At the top of the list in the middle panel, click into Advanced Search.
- Select status: all to see all of your active, deleted, and permanently deleted histories.
- Histories in all states are archived but still listed for registered accounts at http://usegalaxy.org. Meaning one will always find their data here if it ever appears to be "lost".
- The exception can be if the History has been purged. This requires a double-confirmed user action. Permenently deleted/purged Histories may be removed from the server at any time. The content is removed at the time of purging (and cannot be retrieved), but the History may still be in the list for reference, for some variable time period.
- To review all active datasets in your account, look under User > Saved Datasets.
- The listed datasets are named, dated (sortable column), and there is a link to the history that contains it.
- Logging out of Galaxy while the Upload tool is still processing to create a history dataset can cause uploads to abort. This is most likely to occur when a dataset is loaded by browsing local files.
- If you had more than one browser window open, each with a different Galaxy History loaded, the Upload tool can get confused and load data into the most recently used history (even if that is not where you originally started the Upload job).
- TIP If you want to work in more than one history at a time: open each in a different browser. One in Chrome, one in Safari, etc.
When logged into your account, these are located under Histories Shared with Me (a History menu option).
Working with Histories Shared with Me
- Make copies to import the history into your account where they can be worked with.
- Unshare histories that you no longer want shared with you or that you have already made a copy of.
- Shared Histories (where copied or not) do count in portion toward your total account data quota at http://usegalaxy.org.
- Copies of histories from others count in full toward your total account data quota. This is the same as all of your other active/deleted but not permemenently deleted/purged histories.
- More details about how data shared with you, or that you share with others, works with respect to account quota usage is included in this FAQ.