|Summary:||Laniakea provides the possibility to automate the creation of Galaxy-based virtualized environments through an easy setup procedure, providing an on-demand workspace ready to be used by life scientists and bioinformaticians, with built-in storage encryption for user data.|
- Laniakea enables researchers to configure and deploy personal Galaxy instances. Each Galaxy instance is customizable in terms of virtual CPUs, RAM and storage through the web front-end, and deployable with different sets of pre installed tools. Each instance comes with reference data (e.g. genomic sequences) already available for many species, shared among all the instances.
- Each Galaxy instance can be provided with an encrypted external storage volume to protect users research data from any unauthorized access attempts and linked to a repository of standard reference data (e.g., genomic sequences).
- The service is scalable and both users and service providers can choose among a full range of different computational capabilities: from limited ones to serve e.g. small research groups, Galaxy developers or for didactic and training purposes, to instances with elasticity cluster support to deliver enough computational power.
- Laniakea can also be employed as a tool publishing platform. That is, tools developers can choose to publish and make new tools available embedding them in a personalized Galaxy instance. See for example PITE-T and VINYL.
- The Laniakea@ReCaS service, based on Laniakea software stack, has been released for public use, starting on 10 February 2020.
- A scientific and technical evaluation board appointed by ELIXIR-Italy will assess the scientific soundness and technical feasibility of applications for the Laniakea@ReCaS call. Projects will be evaluated with a “first come, first served” policy until the total available resource annual budget will be assigned. The call is available here. All applications must be submitted using this form.
- Tangaro, M. A., Donvito, G., Antonacci, M., Chiara, M., Mandreoli, P., Pesole, G., & Zambelli, F. (2020). Laniakea: An open solution to provide Galaxy “on-demand” instances over heterogeneous cloud infrastructures. GigaScience, 9(4). doi:10.1093/gigascience/giaa033
- Laniakea tagged publications in the Galaxy Publication library