|Summary:||Laniakea provides the possibility to automate the creation of Galaxy-based virtualized environments through an easy setup procedure, providing an on-demand workspace ready to be used by life scientists and bioinformaticians, with built-in storage encryption for user data.|
Laniakea enables researchers to configure and deploy personal Galaxy instances. Each Galaxy instance is customizable in terms of virtual CPUs, RAM and storage through the web front-end, and deployable with different sets of pre installed tools. Each instance comes with reference data (e.g. genomic sequences) already available for many species, shared among all the instances.
- Each Galaxy instance can be provided with an encrypted external storage volume to protect users research data from any unauthorized access attempts and linked to a repository of standard reference data (e.g., genomic sequences).
- The service is scalable and both users and service providers can choose among a full range of different computational capabilities: from limited ones to serve e.g. small research groups, Galaxy developers or for didactic and training purposes, to instances with elasticity cluster support to deliver enough computational power.
- Laniakea can also be employed as a tool publishing platform. That is, tools developers can choose to publish and make new tools available embedding them in a personalized Galaxy instance. See for example PITE-T (GASLINI), VINYL, and CorGAT.
- The Laniakea@ReCaS service, based on Laniakea software stack, has been released for public use, starting on 10 February 2020.
A scientific and technical evaluation board appointed by ELIXIR-Italy will assess the scientific soundness and technical feasibility of applications for the Laniakea@ReCaS call. Projects will be evaluated with a “first come, first served” policy until the total available resource annual budget will be assigned. The call is available here. All applications must be submitted using this form.
Tangaro, M. A., Mandreoli, P., Chiara, M., Donvito, G., Antonacci, M., Parisi, A., Bianco, A., Romano, A., Bianchi, D. M., Cangelosi, D., Uva, P., Molineris, I., Nosi, V., Calogero, R. A., Alessandri, L., Pedrini, E., Mordenti, M., Bonetti, E., Sangiorgi, L., … Zambelli, F. (2021). Laniakea@ReCaS: Exploring the potential of customisable Galaxy on-demand instances as a cloud-based service. BMC Bioinformatics, 22(15), 544. doi:10.1186/s12859-021-04401-3
- Tangaro, M. A., Donvito, G., Antonacci, M., Chiara, M., Mandreoli, P., Pesole, G., & Zambelli, F. (2020). Laniakea: An open solution to provide Galaxy “on-demand” instances over heterogeneous cloud infrastructures. GigaScience, 9(4). doi:10.1093/gigascience/giaa033
- Laniakea tagged publications in the Galaxy Publication library