August 2012 Galaxy Update
Welcome to the August 2012 edition of Galaxy Update, a monthly summary of what is going on in the Galaxy community. Galaxy Updates complement the Galaxy Development News Briefs which accompany new Galaxy releases and focus on Galaxy code updates.
These papers may be of interest to the Galaxy community:
"Polar and brown bear genomes reveal ancient admixture and demographic footprints of past climate change", by Miller, et al., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (23 July 2012)
"Nebula - a web-server for advanced ChIP-seq data analysis", by Boeva, et al., Bioinformatics
The 2012 Galaxy Community Conference (GCC2012) was held July 25-27, in Chicago. Highlights included:
- the inaugural and very well attended GCC Training Day (featuring 12 hands-on sessions on 10 different topics)
- a main program with 8 sessions, 27 talks,
- 10 lightning talks (and many more proposals)
- 6 breakout sessions,
- Ion Torrent as the Platinum Sponsor, EMC Isilon as the Gold Sponsor, and an amazing eight Host and Silver Sponsors.
- The conference dinner and reception, sponsored by Ion Torrent, from which many of us departed hoarse and/or hard of hearing.
Slides for most talks are already on the wiki, and the rest will trickle in over the next week. Videos of talks and workshops will be posted in about two weeks. Finally, with over 200 registrations, this was for the third year running, the largest Galaxy conference yet.
There are August application, poster, and paper deadlines for
- Extending High-Performance Computing Beyond its Traditional User Communities (deadline August 6)
- International Digital Curation Conference (deadline August 20)
- Analysis of High-Throughput Sequencing Data, EMBO Practical Course (deadline August 24)
- eScience 2012 (deadline August 24)
- Personal and Medical Genomics (deadline August 31)
August events including a Bioinformatics Short Course on Mutation Detection at the University of Iowa, and the 2012 GMOD Summer School.
See the Galaxy Events Google Calendar for details on these and other events.
The 1st Swiss Galaxy Workshop will be held October 3-4 in Bern, and is aimed at Galaxy administrators and users alike. We also welcome participants who are using other workflow management systems, and tool developers who are looking for such systems to offer their tools to a wider audience.
We would like to discuss the status of the Galaxy project, new developments, interface to other systems, extensions and best practice in reproducible research.
The workshop is part of the SyBIT Tech Day series.
Several new repositories were added to the Galaxy Tool Shed in July.
nosql_interfacequery and download data from MongoDB and CouchDB NoSQL databases
synapse_interfaceinterface with Sage Bionetworks Synapse platform
mtls_analysis: Analyze and compare multiple ChIP-seq experiments
trinityrnaseq: De novo assembly of rna-seq data coupled with downstream analyses
Toolfactory: Turn scripts into Galaxy Tools; presented at GCC2012
protk: Identify Peptides and Proteins from tandem Mass Spec data; also presented at GCC2012
deseq_and_sam2counts: RNA-Seq differential expression analysis on aligned reads to a transcriptome using sam2counts and DESeq; also presented at GCC2012
freebayes: Bayesian genetic variant detection tool
GFAP: annotate & prioritize human genetic variants identified by NGS
A new Galaxy distribution was released on July 20, 2012. Highlights include:
- Freebayes has moved from the Galaxy distribution to the Galaxy's Main Tool Shed
- EMBOSS version 5.0.0 tool dependencies in the
emboss_5repository of the Galaxy Main Tool Shed updated to include information for automatically installing.
- Tool Shed now also supports specifying the third party tool dependencies to be automatically installed in new repositories
- Admin Genome Indexing is now in BETA. Download, index, and track progress right from the admin UI! That's a screen shot on the right ->
- Improved Error Handling that captures
STDERRfrom tools in XML. Be sure to read full details.
- TopHat2/Bowtie2 latest support includes option to 'report discordant pairs', updated tests, and more preset options.
- Trackster new parameter space visualization. BRAND NEW!! More details coming soon, but give a test drive now.
- The first GalaxyCzars conference call was held in July, and slides and video are now available online.