Birds of a Feather (BoF) Flock Together at GCC2013
Clinical Use / HPC Storage
(Birds of Prey)
Past Galaxy Community Conferences have been the event for networking in the Galaxy: There is no better place to meet and learn from others doing high-throughput biology. GCC2013 will extend this tradition by including Birds of a Feather (BoF)) meetups at the event. Birds of a Feather meetups are informal gatherings where participants group together based on common interests. Bof meetups are a natural combination of the informal meetups and the scheduled Breakout sessions that were already happening at previous GCC's.
BoFs can range from preplanned and pre-announced to just pre-announced to completely spontaneous. Pre-announcing a BoF has the advantage that conference participants can be notified of them ahead of time, and people can plan ahead to attend.
BoF meetups are encouraged throughout GCC2013. We particularly want to encourage BoFs that flock
See the list of scheduled BoFs below.
This is a list of all the BoFs that have been proposed for GCC2013. See the BoF Schedule for the times.
- Future of GalaxyAdmins BoF
- Galaxy Professionals (Birds of Prey)
- Tool Developers
- Public Galaxy Servers
- Galaxy wrappers for NCBI BLAST+ BoF
- Galaxy Clinical Use Survey and HPC Filesystems
Please add your BoF to this table so that other's can plan their BoF so as to minimize timing conflicts.
|Day 0: Sun||Day 1: Mon||Day 2: Tue|
|Lunch||BLAST+ Wrappers, ...||GalaxyAdmins BoF, Proteomics, Galaxy Clinical Use Survey and HPC Filesystems Galaxy Professionals|
|Evening||Public Galaxy Servers||Tool Developers|| Conference
To plan a Birds of a Feather meetup:
- Create a web page for it. You are encouraged to create the page in this wiki, but it can be any where. If you want a wiki page, but don't want to learn how to edit this wiki, then send some text to Galaxy Outreach and we'll create it for you.
- Once the web page exists, add a link to it in the Planned BoFs section of this page.
- Tweet it (use the hashtag #usegalaxy), or notify Galaxy Outreach. In the near future there will also be a conference mailing list you can send an announcement to.
- If you want, you can also create a Galaxy News Item about the BoF (or again, send the text to Galaxy Outreach.
Create a wiki page for the Birds of a Feather meetup with this form
Enter a good CamelCase name for your BoF page (embedded spaces make bad URLs): . PLACEHOLDER_NEW_PAGE(Events/GCC2013/BoF/BoFTemplate, "Create BoF Page", Events/GCC2013/BoF)
This will create a wiki page using the BoF Template. Edit that page as directed and then save it.
The conference will enable and encourage BoFs by
- Encouraging conference participants to organize BoFs
- Use this wiki page as a hub for BoFs at GCC2013.
- Promote BoFs to all conference participants, over and over, both before and during the conference
until everyone actually grows feathers.
- Identifying and coordinating spaces, both on-site and off, where BoFs can be held
Questions? Contact the Organizers.